WHAT IS A MANUFACTURED HOME?
A manufactured home is one that is built off site in a factory and then transported to the homesite in one or more units. For those who want affordable real estate, a manufactured home can be a great option. People are often surprised when they see just what is possible in today’s manufactured homes. Manufactured homes come in a stunning variety of architectural styles, sizes, and layouts. They can include high end materials and features such as granite or marble countertops, spa style bathrooms, and custom fireplaces. Because they tend to be more affordable when compared to traditional stick built homes, manufactured homes can open up home buying options. For many, a manufactured home means it’s possible to become a homeowner without taking on more debt and expenses than would be manageable. For others it allows them to realize the dream of buying a vacation property at the beach, the lake, in the mountains, or some other desirable location.
MANUFACTURED HOME FINANCING
Home buyers often worry that financing will be tougher to come by should they purchase a manufactured home. Thankfully there are some excellent manufactured home mortgage programs available. A specialty FHA loan designed just for manufactured home lending can be a great option when financing both the home and the land it sits on. Even better you don’t have to have perfect credit to be eligible!
Some of the requirements of this program include:
• The home must be a minimum of 400 square feet in size.
• The home must have been built after June 15, 1976, and in accordance with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (there will be a certification label affixed to the home to signify this.)
• The loan must cover both the home and the land that it sits on.
• The home must be on a permanent foundation and cannot be located in a flood zone.
• The borrowers’ credit scores must be a minimum of 620 to qualify.